Search my blog with keywords and favorite post titles to make your viewing (and reviewing) easier!


Sunday, July 4, 2010

Velvento 9 - Bazuki? Don't Mind If I Do

I was lucky enough to take a Bazuki lesson at the town cultural center! While I learned the classic Greek instrument, the rest of my family went to see the Velvento museum. They had a great time, but it was especially meaningful because my dad said the exhibit house looked much like his childhood home did (although the museum example was of a more affluent home). Even the stone oven in the backyard was designed the same way!






Side note: In the folk costume of most villages in Greece (and many other places across the world) you can distinguish a person's class and economic status from the style, color and decoration of their clothing. Interestingly, the folk costumes of Velvendos do not differ based on class. Women's dresses were laboriously woven by hand by each woman herself, and the only different was the material used (well off woman had the ability to use silk instead of wool, but didn't always do so), but the design, intricacy and color remained the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment