Search my blog with keywords and favorite post titles to make your viewing (and reviewing) easier!


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

To His Roots



While Athens itself was incredible to experience in person (after seeing it so many times in history books and movies), it was the significance of the city as a transitional point in our travels and, more importantly, in my father's experience moving from Greece to America that is the cornerstone of this adventure.

The last time he set foot in Athens, my father was six years old. He had left his family farm to set out on an involuntary pilgrimage to the United States (leaving behind six of his seven siblings - with only Evyenia accompanying him to the bus - countless cousins, parents, and all of his recognizable reality).

Fifty years have passed since this moment in his childhood, and strangely but sweetly enough, the stars have aligned for him to return to his original home with his new American family.

While my sister Shabd and I have continually pushed for our family to take a trip to his birth place, my father had always responded in his kind and gentle voice: "Not this year". At one point it was because I have too much work", he proclaimed; another occasion he told us: "Maybe next summer after mom is done with school for the year"; then as my sister moved to New York for school: "Let's wait until Shabd finishes her education", and after she graduated and I entered college it was: "When Zach is done with school we can talk about it"...you get the point. The reasons were real, but there always seemed to be something in the way of a family trip to Greece.

Finally, after my sister and I had finished school and I had helped my father finish up a few big projects for work, he caved. "So dad...", we said routinely, "How about Greece??" To all of our surprise his response was: "Sure". If you know my dad, you know this is a classic Stefan response! While the words were the same, this time he had an unbreakable smile to share (he is a very happy man, but does not often share his highs and lows with dramatic facial expressions). He was finally ready to embark on the return trip of a fifty-year hiatus from Greece. Tune in for more of his story soon to be posted...

***Update: After visiting the family and exchanging stories, we found out that the day my dad left for America, he was actually taken to the Athens airport on a bus with his parents, not his sister as he had earlier thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment