Search my blog with keywords and favorite post titles to make your viewing (and reviewing) easier!


Friday, June 25, 2010

Skopelos 2 - Ferry Nice To Meet You


As the ferry came to a stop in the port, we grabbed our bags and began to exit in gut-wrenching anticipation to meet the Betsani family (Alexandra's married name); a welcomed addition to our family. As I got off the ferry I scanned through the crowd to see if I could recognize anyone. Why I did this I am not sure, as I had never seen a picture of Alexandra or her family. I quickly locked onto two pairs of eyes harboring the same emotional excitement as that of mine and my family's. The two were grasping each other's arms and had their faces pointed forward as if the extra inch would help them find their disembarking passengers faster. I guess it worked. As I turned to ask my father if the pair I saw were in fact Alexandra and her son Filipo, I could tell immediately that it was them. He had already shook his nervousness and was smiling in relief, excitement, nostalgia, and so much more. He recognized her perfectly even after 50 years of separation!



I took his bags and threw all of ours on the ground swiftly to get out my camera (my sister was better prepared and already had hers out to capture the moment we had waited for our whole lives). Alexandra embraced little Stefani (Alexandra's nickname for him in Florida) for the first time since he was 13 and she was 17, just before her return to Skopelos in 1967. After all of this time apart, he once again felt the loving touch of one of his older sisters. It was magical...


No comments:

Post a Comment